Well, because I am expecting a baby, and because I like to do crafty things, I thought it was only fitting to make a post to share some (some mind you, not all!) of the cute baby things that are done and ready for baby to come! So here they are!
This first one is one of my very favorites. I love this blanket, I want in my size. Unfortunately I suspect making one that big would be a major pain in the butt. For those of you wondering or who care to know, I thought this was much easier than doing a rag quilt, and I thought there was less lint in the dryer as well. Also, this sucker holds a lot of water, so plan on doing an extra spin cycle and/or drying for a long time if you make one. Also, please don't mind my suck-y binding. The satin binding is hard to sew. Plus, I had 4 layers of fabric to get through as well. My sewing machine was not happy about it. One last thing, I think in the instructions on the blog where I found this, the blanket measured about 44" square. Mine is slightly smaller, due to the huge selvages on the backing fabric that I cut off. Here is a link to the tutorial I found on how to make this:
Cut Chenille Baby Blanket
 |
| The back |
 |
| All the cut flannel, looking like chenille. | |
|
|
|
|
 |
| Close up, for your enjoyment. |
Here's a baby afghan. This one I made using a pattern from a book (let me know if you want the title), that I started back in July before I knew what we were having, so I kind of had to go with generic colors. It was super easy to crochet, plus each of the squares is stitched separately and then you sew them all together at the end. I loved it in July, because I only had to work with little squares, and not have a huge, hot blanket in my lap.
 |
| Close up, so you can see the extra woven in yarn a little better. |
|
These are just some washcloths that I made from the left-overs from the afghan. The pattern was on the back of the label from the Sugar and Cream yarn I used. I changed colors where I wanted to, but pretty much followed the pattern other than that.
Last but not least, is our diaper bag! (That's right, I made it). I followed this pattern to make it:
Simplicity Diaper Bag. The outside of the bag is laminated cotton, the inside is just normal, everyday cotton. I bought the pattern for $0.99 on sale at JoAnn fabric, and I think all told the fabric and notions I needed cost me about $30 total. So there you have it, a cute, lightweight, tough, non-run-of-the-mill diaper bag. Michael thinks it's a little too girly for him to be packing around, but he can deal with it. I told him if I had wanted it girly, it would have been all pink with bows.
 |
| Cute pink inside. |
 |
| I love that the strap is big enough I can wear it messenger style, but not so big it's awkward on just one shoulder. |
So there you have it. Some of the things I have been keeping myself busy with until this baby gets here.
And we can see your baby belly.
ReplyDelete