Friday, May 31, 2013

What's gone in the dog water?

So, in case you didn't know, we have a toddler in our house. Who relies usually on Mom to entertain her, or she entertains herself. We also have a large dog in the residence, sometimes two if we have a foster. Don't know if you are aware or not, but dogs drink. A lot. So we have a water dish that has a 3 gallon reservoir on the back of it. This means that 1) there is almost always water at the level of my child; 2) that  said water is usually too heavy and too awkward for me to be picking up and putting down all day long to keep it out of  Miss E's reach; 3) we've learned to just deal with whatever goes in the water.
Because of the last part, I've started compiling a list of things that have gone swimming. Because it's actually kind of hilarious, and proves that my kid is at least semi-intelligent, I'm going to share it. I'm not sure exactly what she is trying to research, but if she ever lets me know her conclusion, I'll share the results of her study with you. In the meantime, enjoy.

E's list of what to put in the dog water, with some explanations as to why:
  • Rubber duckies
  • Cups (or anything resembling a cup at all )
  • Bubble bottles. Or any bottle really.
  • Board books
  • Crinkle toys
  • Washcloths (these work well to the spread the water all over the kitchen floor! Think of it like a my-size mop)
  • Burprags (same effect as washcloths)
  • Bibs (ditto burprags and washcloths)
  • Butch's Kong ( for those of you that don't know, this is a type of dog toy)
  • Butch's food bowl
  • Mom's phone (this luckily only happened once. And I was there to snatch it as soon as I saw what she had thrown in. Since then, we've been much more diligent about the electronics she can get her hands on)
  • Hair bows (if you are feeling especially thirsty, you can then suck the water back off. But refuse the sippy cup if your mom offers it to you)
  • Rings from a ring stacker (these are fun cause they float! Can put in multiples or just one)
  • Her feet (With or without socks. Be sure to stomp!)
  • Frisbee (this one floats, but sometime sinks, resulting in something similar to cup, in that you can fling water with it)
  • Balls. Hers or Butch's.
  • Hair comb (to stir with, of course)
  • Mittens
  • Her shoes (They scoop!)
  • Any shoe she can find now
  • Page protector (not sure how, but she got water inside of it. Then laid it back down and squished all the droplets around.)
I'm sure this list will grow. Especially as she becomes more mobile and finds more things to get into. I'll keep you updated.  I'm also sure that Butch really worries about us sometimes. Especially when I don't realize his water dish is full of strange things, and he just needs a drink. I'm waiting for him to start pulling things out. Probably while he shakes his head and mutters about "crazy kids these days".

No comments:

Post a Comment